We’re back with another blog to share our most valuable tips for improving warehouse operations. In our last blog,we focused on the best ways to improve warehouse organization and how to track performance indicators. This month, we’re going over how to make sure your operation is a success through staff buy-in and tips for creating the best warehouse layout. Let’s dive in!
Incorporate feedback from staff to create buy-in
One of the most important things you can do as a warehouse manager and business leader is build morale among your team. Asking for the opinions of your warehouse employees is one effective way to accomplish this. Warehouse staffers are intimately familiar with picking processes and other areas of the operation and can potentially provide insight you can’t get anywhere else. Hear what your employees have to say about how to best maximize their time and productivity. Be open to suggestions regarding the safety and security of the warehouse and let your employees know suggestions for improvement include these considerations.
Here are a few ways to garner constructive feedback from your warehouse operations staff:
- Communicate improvement plans to staff clearly and be transparent about the goals and benefits of the proposed changes.
- Involve employees in the decision-making process. Develop an online survey to share with staff, meet with staff to discuss potential improvements and ideas, and/or create a suggestion box so that employees can share ideas more conveniently.
- Train employees on any new operations processes or pilot programs and provide additional support and resources for any drastic changes that are made.
Improve layout and slotting
When you optimize warehouse layouts, you ultimately improve overall operational performance. One important way to do this is through slotting: the practice of organizing inventory in a warehouse according to certain characteristics to maximize efficiency and space. Here are some ideas for doing both.
- Evaluate your current layout to identify any bottlenecks, congestion points, and inefficient areas.
- Design a layout that facilitates the flow of goods. Minimize picking distances and clear aisles of any clutter or items that don’t have a designated storage place.
- To improve slotting, analyze inventory and classify items according to their SKU, product type, importance or demand. Make sure high-demand items are close to shipping areas to minimize picking time.
- Implement the First In, First Out (FIFO) principles based on the nature of your products to ensure older stock is used first.
Need to improve your warehouse layout? Western Storage and Handling will take on the heavy lifting to evaluate your warehouse layout, provide AutoCad drawings prior to execution, and provide an estimate that takes care of your warehouse operations needs! Contact us today.
Utilize vertical space first, then grow outward
Utilizing vertical space in your warehouse can create many benefits. It maximizes the storage capacity of your facility, allowing you to store more goods without having to acquire additional space. Utilizing vertical space can also make it easier for employees to locate and retrieve the correct items, minimizing picking times and errors.
Western Storage and Handling offers a wide variety of vertical storage solutions, including pallet racks systems, storage platforms, mezzanines, modular offices, and VRCs (Vertical Reciprocating Conveyors) or VLMs (Vertical Lift Modules). Give us a call for free walk-through and consultation to see how you can make the most of your vertical space.
Call us today for a free evaluation of your warehouse
Our experienced, trained professionals will assess your operations and provide you with safe and efficient warehouse operation solutions. Give us a call today at 303-937-8376 or find your area Sales Manager here. We look forward to speaking with you!
Have you worked with us on a project? Share Your Experience on Google Business Reviews!
Serving Colorado, Eastern Wyoming and Western Nebraska
We have both Denver and Colorado Springs locations!
1630 West Evans Ave, unit L
Denver, Colorado 80110
COLORADO SPRINGS OFFICE
1880 Office Club Pointe
Colorado Springs, CO 80920